Dandruff is a common problem and is commonly irritating and embarrassing as well. Good thing there are several remedies available wherever you go. But like any other problems, you have to know the causes to spot the suitable solutions for it. The most common cause is poor hygiene. Improper hair care especially when you have oily scalp and don’t wash your hair very often. Dust, dirt and oil can build up and cause dandruff. Another cause of itchy, flaking scalp is having dry skin which usually occurs during cold seasons. Another cause could be skin disorders like Psoriasis, Eczema, Seborrheic Dermititis, etc. These causes may need a more serious medication from a Dermatologist.
Natural home remedies are usually preferred by people who want to solve their dandruff problem in a chemical-free way. The great thing about this kind of remedies is that they don’t have strong ingredients and additives such as ammonium lauryl sulfate which may irritate and harm the skin, especially to people with sensitive skin. Home remedy also contains natural nutrients that prevent natural fungus to develop on the scalp.
There are a lot of anti-dandruff shampoos available in the grocery, but some just offer a short term relief. And as we have discussed earlier, shampoos have chemical additives which could cause allergic reactions to some individuals. So anti-dandruff shampoos are not always the appropriate solution for everybody with dandruff. That is why natural home remedies are preferred by some as an alternative in treating their dandruff.
There are several natural home remedy suggestions:
Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. I think this is the easiest and most basic home remedy. Since dry skin is a common cause of dandruff, simple solution is to get hydrated and cleansed inside.
• Apple cider vinegar – It is believed to have the ability to fight bacteria, yeast and other kinds of fungus. The procedure is to soak the scalp with apple cider vinegar letting it stay for 5 minutes then rinse thoroughly with regular shampoo.
• Baking Soda Baking – Baking Soda is an ingredient found in most homes. The powder has the ability to absorb excess oil on the scalp. Procedure is to pour a palm full of it on your wet hair, then thoroughly massage it.
• Fish oil supplements – Some say that lack of Omega 3 fatty acids also causes dandruff. So maybe you should start including fish oil to your daily diet. It will not only give you a healthy scalp, but also a healthy heart.
• Tea tree oil - Tea tree oil is known for its anti fungal and antiseptic properties and has been widely used as dandruff remedy. Some anti dandruff shampoo brands also contain tea tree oil. You can also try combining almond oil and tea tree oil then rub and massage on scalp.
• Argan oil - Argan oil comes from the argan tree kernels which are commonly grown in Morocco. This oil is also known for its medicinal and cosmetic properties which are why it has been widely used to improve hair and skin quality. Procedure is to apply a small amount on hair and let it soak for a few minutes, and then rinse off properly with regular shampoo.
Natural home remedies may not be as easily and conveniently done as just pouring a handful of anti dandruff shampoo and just apply them on your wet hair, but it could be a better and safer alternative for dandruff problems.